Doctor’s ‘negligence’ costs eve’s life at Ladygoschen; relatives stage protest

Posted on Apr 24th, 2010 and filed under Crime/Mishaps.

MANGALORE: An incident in which a woman who was admitted to the Ladygoshchen Hospital in the city died soon after child birth, took place on Friday. Meanwhile, relatives of the deceased woman and the general public staged a protest outside the hospital mortuary, alleging that the negligence of doctors at the hospital had resulted in the death of the woman.

The deceased has been identified as Mallika (26), wife of Rajesh Anchan, a resident of near Mooduperar church near Bajpe. Mallika who was admitted to the hospital for her first delivery had given girth to a baby girl at around 7.30 pm on Thursday. She who was alright then, suffered from excessive bleeding during night time and breathed her last on Friday morning. Hospital sources said the baby which weighed 2.5 kg was healthy.

However, according to Mallika’s relatives, she suffered from excessive bleeding after she had coffee at night and that a doctor named Poornima when contacted had neglected the request to attend to the patient. It was also alleged that the doctors have not divulged when she had passed away and had shifted her to Wenlock without bringing the matter to the notice of the family members. The relatives even demanded that the doctor concerned be suspended as it was her negligence that cost the life of the patient. When police prevented the agitated relatives from protesting outside the hospital, they began to protest outside the Wenlock morgue.

It has been learnt that Mallika used to regularly visit Ladygoschen for check-up with the hospital doctor Poornima and that she had no other health problem. The allegation is that the hospital doctor who gave more preference to her private practice, used to make medical students handle delivery cases. Even Mallika’s case was handled by KMC students when the problem cropped up, allege Mallika’s relatives.

However Ladygoschen doctor Saroja says ‘An attempt had been made to normalize the situation by giving Mallika shock treatment and as much as 11 bottles of blood. Still she passed away at 9.40 in the morning.”

Shakuntala, Medical Superintendent of Ladygoschen Hospital had this to say “Mallika had no other heath problem. In Ladygoschen Hospital, normal delivery cases are handled by medical students themselves. Mallika’s case was handled by KMC’s MS students Jyothi and Lathika. There was excessive bleeding due to shock. As her blood group was AB positive and there wasn’t enough blood of that group and also as there was no ventilator system in Ladygoschen, she was shifted to Wenlock.”


© The Canara Times Group, India.