MANGALORE: The Mangalore Bar Association members would be taking out a silent procession in the city on March 30 seeking to hand over to the CBI the case of the missing of city’s young advocate and Bar Association Member Preetham Kumar. It may be recalled here that it is already over two months since Preetham had been reported missing.
SP Chengappa President of the Mangalore Bar Association, who spoke to reporters in the city on Friday said the protest has been backed by the State Bar Association, bar associations of the district and other organisations.The procession which will begin at 10 am at the Mangalore court grounds will be taken up to the DC office where a memorandum would be submitted to the Deputy Commissioner.
Preetham, who had left home on the night of January 24 after he received a phone call, had not returned home. Though a case of missing was initially registered in the Kavoor station, later a case of kidnapping was lodged in the backdrop of Preetham’s affair with the daughter of a relative of the district minister and the attack that took place on him on an earlier occasion.
Chengappa alleged that the police had not investigated the case with an open mind and had once even tried to convince his family that an unclaimed body was that of Preetham by exhuming an already buried body at Brahmavar,
Stating that it has already been proved that the body was not that of Preetham, he said the association would even support if the authorities decide to go in for a DNA test of the body.
He also said that there has been no progress in investigation despite drawing the attention of the home minister towards this case and alleged that the police were only trying to shield some one owing to political pressure.
Expressing his concern over the several cases of attacks and murder attempts on advocates in Mangalore since the past two years, he said the police had even failed to unravel the mystery behind the Naushad murder and the attempt made on the life of Dinesh Hegde Ulepady.