Major fire from garbage yard averted

Posted on Jun 1st, 2012 and filed under Crime/Mishaps.

BANTWAL: A major fire mishap was averted due to the timely action of the fire service personnel following the information passed on by the members of the general public in the town on May 31, Thursday regarding the blaze from the garbage that was threatening to spread.

The TMC staff as usual had set fire to the wastes dumped in the land belonging to the railway department near the Main Circle in the town. But, by evening, the fire was set to engulf the nearby trees planted by the forest department as well as the cattle which were grazing in the area unaware of the danger. Citing more damage if the fire was left unchecked, the locals informed the fire service personnel who rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire.

It may be recalled here that garbage disposal has been a major problem in the town limits with the TMC failing to regularly dispose garbage despite several complaints.

Moreover, it has also been noticed that people dump waste carelessly on the roadside at Melkar, Panemangalore Goodinabali, Kaikamba and other areas, turning the entire area unclean.

Even the repeated complaint in this regard with the TMC health inspector had been futile. The main grouse of the people of Bantwal is that several places in the town are stinking due to the rotten wastes and they want the elected representatives as well as the local administration to rise to the occasion and ensure step towards regular disposal of garbage.

MmMzZDY
© The Canara Times Group, India.