UDUPI : Sri Vishwesha Theertha Swamiji of Pejawar Mutt has said that the Dalit
leaders have misinterpreted his statement on the conversion of Dalits into Buddhism. In a
press communiqu?, the Pejawar seer has said he was surprised over the protests staged by
Dalit organizations against him. ?As per the Constitution, every individual has the right
to embrace any religion of his choice. Accordingly, even Dalits have the right to embrace
Buddhism,? the seer said.
Continuing, he said ? I do not question this right of theirs. But, every individiaul has the
right to give some suggestions to others. I have only advised the Dalits. It is left for
them to either accept or reject it. There is nothing unconstitutional in my statement, I
have only told the truth which is in the interests of the Dalit community.?
? The Dalits in every colony I have visited, worship Hindu Gods and Goddesses and
there is no doubt that they are Hindus. What is wrong in giving them a special Bhakti
Deekshe of Hindu Dharma ?,? the seer has questioned adding this would be conducive to
eradication of untouchability.
He further said ? I have not told anywhere that caste is the soul of Hindu Dharma. By
realizing the fact that in the present social and political scenario, the caste system cannot
be eradicated, let us unitedly strive to eradicate untouchability and bring about social
equality.? Continuing he said, ?Let us not delay the task of eradication of untouchability
by linking untouchability eradication and caste system eradication. This would not solve
the problem, Instead let us lay due emphasis to eradication of untouchability and work
towards that direction.?
The seer has also requested the Dalits to understand his concerted efforts towards
eradication of untouchability and co-operate in his endeavor.
- Dalits to protest against Pejawar seer
- ? Let Pejawar seer embrace Buddhism?
- Nidumamidi seer asks Pejawar Swami to stop ?drama? of visiting Dalit colonies
- Opposing doctorate to Pejawar seer is meaningless
- Will attend Paryaya at any cost, declares Puttige seer UDUPI: The Paryaya controversy seems to have reached a flashpoint with Sri Sugunendra Theertha Swamiji of Puttige Mutt who has not been invited for the Paryaya, declaring on January 11, Wednesday that he would take part in the Paryaya procession and Darbar of Sode Seer at any cost. In the event of the Puttige seer keeping his words, then the seers of the mutts excluding the Shiroor and Pejawar mutts are likely to object, leading to tension during the Paryaya. The Puttige seer announced his decision at a meeting convened by the Sri Krishna Mukhyaprana Samithi, Hindu Samaja Samithi, religious and political leaders on January 11. The seer, it is learnt will be taken in a palanquin during the Paryaya procession. If the Sode Paryaya seer is adamant that the Puttige seer should not be invited, the Puttige seer is firm on his decision to take part considering it his right to do so. The Samithi has said that the Sode seer has erred by not extending an invitation to the Puttige seer and by also omitting his name in the Paryaya Darbar invitation, contrary to the tradition which requires all the seers of the Ashta Mutts to take part. It has also requested the Pejawar seer to intervene and end the impasse.